Tuesday, March 11, 2008

2nd Class - Airplane Oil

Today during the pre-flight check I learned how to add airplane oil. So far everyone has been so polite and encouraging, insisting that there are no stupid questions. I may ask all I want. Well, there are stupid questions. In fact, there are ones so stupid that they are beyond moronic. Just like how someone says, "It is not you. It is me!" Translation. It is you, you dumb ass! So today I asked what you change airplane oil with? It is airplane oil, you dumb ass!

To defend myself I must say that prior to coming to Los Angeles in 2005, I lived in Singapore, Boston, Tokyo and New York, cities with great public transportation systems. My driver's license sole purpose was to get me a drink. Talks about engines, cylinders or horsepower will only draw blank stares from me. The same kind that a man levels upon you when presented with Black vs. Very Black mascaras. It is sad really sad. To put an end to my mechanical illiteracy I ordered Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook as soon as I got home. Am considering getting Cars for Dummies too.

Today we again flew along the Malibu coast and practiced climbs, descents and turns! In the climbs, we reviewed the steps of leveling off of a climb. Similarly, I practiced leveling off of a descent. And flying straight and level flight sounds easy but it is not. It is confusing when your horizon changes e.g. from the straight line of the ocean's edge to the zigzagging outline of the Santa Monica mountain ranges. I have a tendency to pitch up. Chris kept reminding me to keep my eyes outside of the cockpit. But it is human nature to keep looking at the instruments because it made me feel safe. However, I was reminded that there exists a lag in the instrument readings and they are not always accurate. Relying on the instruments at this stage will prevent me from "bonding" with the plane and developing my mojo. So like my weighing scale I am only allowed to look at the instruments every so often.

We also practiced turns and did plenty of them at varying bank angles. The air being much smoother today made it easier. Chris gave me a quick review of the Heading Indicator and would call out various headings for me to turn into. I kept forgetting to look in that direction outside of the window prior to turning towards it. Again I would turn using the Heading Indicator. I also failed many times to check my bank angle via the wings. It was basically one screw up piled up right after another!

Not that things could get anymore frustrating, Chris declared that he was going to demostrate a stall. From what I have heard of them I would rather go to the gynecologist's office. Stalls basically mean that the wings of the plane have exceeded its critical angle of attack and as such lost its lift. The plane nose dives and your head hits the roof of the cockpit. Not pleasant sounding at all. But surprisingly, Juliette Whiskey refused to stall so I escaped unscathed. Phew! Onto the next subject please (I know that I will need to revisit this in the future as I need to know how to recover from a stall)

Landing today was one word: Horrible As Hell. Alright. That was three words. I came in swaying right and left and Chris who had control of the rudder and power had to take over off the yoke when we broke the glide 'cause I basically veered the plane towards the right and we landed with a loud thud. It was so horrible that everything feels like a haze right now. I am so sorry Juliette Whiskey!

Flight Time: 1 hr 30 mins

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's the beef?! I am enjoying this. Please keep posting.

Anonymous said...

What IS the difference between black & REALLY black mascara???